Saturday 15 February 2014

Cactus



Oil on canvas 50 x 60 cms


This has taken me much longer than I originally thought it would... I keep going back and fiddling!
I will now leave it for a few days and see if it still looks ok.  I also need to take a better photograph, this one had to be slightly skew to avoid the light glare as much as possible.

These cactus were part of a long row that my friend had in her garden. They caught my eye because of the way the midday sun was making them glow, offset by the cool greens in the ceramic bowls.
I am still using the working title of 'cactus' ( highly original and interesting I know), so any good title will be appreciated thank you!




13 comments:

Jane said...

I love the shapes and lines - really striking! and the glow, too.

Polly Birchall said...

Wonderful unusual title btw. I like the glow you have managed to get on this lovely painting.

Sue Clinker said...

Well worth the time and effort Cathy - these are striking.
I'm hopeless at titles too. Can only think along the lines 'whats the point'? but think I prefer 'Cactus'

Sue Clinker said...

Well worth the time and effort Cathy - these are striking.
I'm hopeless at titles too. Can only think along the lines 'whats the point'? but think I prefer 'Cactus'

Sue Clinker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melliott said...

Well, technically it would be "cacti," since there are multiple cactus, but…phooey. My first thought was "spiny city" because the line-up reminds me of a city skyline. Love your colors and transitions between them, Cathy!

Dan Kent said...

So interesting - I thought this was watercolor! Beautifully subtle gradations of tone. Love the purples and greens together, and the reflections on the pots are real!

Cathy Holtom said...

Thanks for the comments, I'm still thinking about the title, this is a prickly one!

Laura said...

Gorgeous work Cathy. I like the individuality you have created with each cactus: shape, texture and light.

Unknown said...

Love the colours you've used to make this really stand out!

Unknown said...

I love this! The colors are so creative. It feels real and surreal at the same time. My first thought is The Three Amigos.

Cathy Holtom said...

Thank you Raena,I love your suggestion!

JANE MINTER said...

Looks great cathy