Friday 3 September 2010

Something with Spots



Everyday Matters n° 288, draw something with spots.

I had difficulty finding something with spots, no dalmatians or ladybirds about !  My friend suggested some domino's as they have a few spots, so I got my pen and pencils out and had a go, this was the 3rd attempt!
I'm definately not good at straight lines/perspective etc and I don't like using a ruler, something  I should practice.

Thank you to my friend Anne at Frayed at the edge for her nomination for this award.

I don't know how to get it on the sidebar, so it will have to stay here!










As requested here are some things you don't know about me ( I could only think of five, sorry!)

1.  I teach English to Italians
2.  I grew up in Warwickshire (UK)
3.  I don't like pineapple
4.  I can sew and knit, but I don't do it very often.
5.  I don't watch television very much (I prefer my art)

One more thing... I often take photographs if I see an interesting cloud formation or colours, they're always useful for references when I'm drawing and painting.  This is a photo I took where the cloud coming over the front, it looks like a hand reaching out!

19 comments:

winna said...

I really like your choice of dominos...they look great and are set on the page so pleasingly..

seesue said...

I agree with Winna about placement and think that the richness that you've achieved with your blks is great.

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Wow, the dominoes are so well done...well done!

Patsy Taylor-Craw said...

Great idea for spots and very well done. Perspective is a tricky business and I think you handled it well.

Anonymous said...

The dominoes are just great! Look as if I could just pick them up and join the game...

Lynn Logan Roselli said...

I wouldn't worry about your straight lines they are perfect in your dominoes picture. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy, I think using dominoes as a subject is inspired! Nicely done!

Alex said...

What an interesting subject to draw and beautifully done! I can never understand how to play it but I like them =)

Unknown said...

Wow! That cloud shot is eerie! It looks like a woman's hand in a ruffled nightgown getting ready to beckon for something...
I love your dominoes! They are wonderful!

Jennifer Barnes said...

Love your art. It was with delight I read that you use coloured pencils. I am returning to creating after many years of not drawing and had discovered coloured pencils and love using them - my teacher would prefer I use other mediums. At the moment I am exploring progresso. I agree about the paper in the sketchbook project. Maybe next year they should look at something with a better quality. Anyway I will follow your blogs as I love your art.

Jennifer Barnes said...

Love your art. It was with delight I read that you use coloured pencils. I am returning to creating after many years of not drawing and had discovered coloured pencils and love using them - my teacher would prefer I use other mediums. At the moment I am exploring progresso. I agree about the paper in the sketchbook project. Maybe next year they should look at something with a better quality. Anyway I will follow your blogs as I love your art.

K said...

Cathy, I think you achieved good depth here, and it is so hard to capture black in a realistic way. Awesome job.

Sara Light-Waller said...

Wonderful dominoes! I also like your photograph. It's lovely. ;-)

Anonymous said...

We used to play dominoes a lot as children - the set had belonged to my Grandpa - I think they were ivory! It took me ages to find out how to add my awards to my sidebar - I now have it all written out in case I should need it again - it was scary stuff as it involves writing (a very little bit of) HTML!!

Unknown said...

Fabulous! Spot on with topic (groan sorry). The lines look ok to me, and the non-coloured spots are so clever.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sarika Alvekar said...

They are so real, as if we can pick them. Amazing work !!

nanke's stuff said...

I think these are really great. That one on the top looks absolutely real! nancy

Unknown said...

I think you did great on the dominoes! I've never actually seen a black set; mine have always been white!

donna said...

Great job on the dominos and the challenge. The photo is just gorgeous.