Wednesday 2 June 2010

Another Era

Oil 60 x60 cms

I finally completed a painting, it's been a long time since I finished anything bigger than my sketchbook!
It is an entrance pillar to and old villa but I've given it a slightly surreal feeling, although the painting is not as yellow as this in real life.
I often go by this entrance as it's just off one of the main roads and I've always been drawn to the snail- like curled stone.  You can just imagine the carriages and horses that must have gone rattling past in the old days.
Now they are using this old place for wedding receptions but I noticed that someone has recently filled in all the lovely holes and cracks in my pillar with pink cement.  What a sacrilege!

10 comments:

Karen said...

'Mellow yellow' instantly came to mind. I can just imagine the sunshine warming the yellow brick pillar. What a shame someone has used pink cement to fill the holes, they could at least have renovated it in keeping with the original.

Anonymous said...

This is a girgeous painting. I like the curled stone - it would make a good quilting pattern!

Anonymous said...

SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!

Gillian Mowbray said...

This is stunning - it conveys the warmth of the stone in evening sunlight - and is that a morning glory? I'm growing some 'heavenly blue' this year - that's if the slugs don't eat them.

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting Cathy.

Artistic license on the colours - why not? It looks beautiful.

Unknown said...

This is lovely, I love the texture of the stone and the softness of the flowers. It is also a little different which is refreshing :)

Cathy Holtom said...

Thank you Chrissy..different is what I was trying to do!!

Shirley said...

The texture you created on the stones is amazing!

Revelle Taillon said...

This is gorgeous!
Revelle

Timaree said...

Just beautiful. Well at least you got it down before it was filled with the pink cement!