Saturday 15 September 2012

Peeling Away the Layers




I love old peeling paint, it gives buildings and objects their own life story, the more layers the better.
This old church door was especially interesting as it was just open very slightly, enough to peek in an admire the restorations that are going on inside.
This painting has been in and out of the bin twice and a less colourful one started, but in the end it's all about what I saw and felt and not what it actually looks like.  I will try and remember that the next time!

9 comments:

Judy said...

Yes, the colours are beautiful and really make this painting sing!

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

I also love how old paint and rust spots look, its like art made by time... Your painting is very good, love the colours and the little lock. Great piece!!!

Studio at the Farm said...

I really like it, Cathy. It has so much character.

Cindy D. said...

Wow! These colors are amazing. (And also some of my favorite color combinations. Maybe I am biased!) I really love it. Maybe my favorite painting of yours. Holy cow to think it had to be saved from the bin twice!

Lucia B. said...

I love these beautiful colours and I think your feelings about this object are more interesting than just a description of what it actually looks like!

Watermarycolors said...

I love this painting! the colors are amazing.. Cheers!

Gillian Mowbray said...

Oh yes, peeling paint works for me every time, especially when there are lots of layers underneath. This is gorgeous!

Ann said...

I love this. Makes me want to peek inside too. Gorgeous color!

Sarah Melling said...

I love pieces that one can gaze at for ages, and this is one of those. The luscious colors, the mystery of the closed doors...so intriguing.