Thursday 17 November 2011

Muses






This is my latest coloured pencil piece.  It's the 'sister' of the Silent Keeper, one of my entries to the UKCPS exhibition this year.  I thought that they would look good together at the upcoming local exhibition where my work will be displayed, well they would if my Silent Keeper would like to return home.  At the moment it's travelling backwards and forwards between the UK and Italy and I'm not friends with DHL carriers anymore!
(It's a long story...sigh..)

At the foot of a staircase, two statues  Endymion and Aglaia from Greek mythology.
I just loved the double shadow in the late evening sun and it was my first sight of the  privately owned 17th century Villa Valguarnera.
I  had to stand and memorise the scene, although I did have a camera,  I wanted to capture how I felt when I first walked up the long drive and through the gate.

14 comments:

Sadeu said...

a very beautiful work, Cathy : )

Sandy in Michigan said...

Using the shadows is a great concept and it made for a lovely work. Good luck with your wandering painting and I hope it does find its way home!

Anonymous said...

You know that I love shadows, so of course I love this!!

Lucia B. said...

It's a wonderful piece, Cathy! I love the shadows, and the atmosphere of silence and peace you have so pleasantly created. You have a great mastery in reproducing every variation of colour, every mark left by time on the stones and on the plastered walls.
Have a nice weekend, and good luck with the coming back of the Silent Keeper! II feel like a sort of godmother of this beautiful painting!) :-)

Unknown said...

Your talent amazes me! This looks to me like it would be a watercolor painting. Very well done. I do hope you get the other back soon!

Anonymous said...

You've captured that light perfectly - great work.
Sue

Unknown said...

Wow ! Wonderful Cathy ! It's really beautiful, everything is great : the proportions of the statues, light and shadow, textures, ... Good luck for the exhibition :)

Cathy Holtom said...

The painting has currently returned to the UK, now I need to get it re-sent!
Thanks for the lovely comments....
Lucia you are the offical godmother now!

nanke's stuff said...

It's just stunning - your work never ceases to amaze me. Your painting will find its way home, of that I've no doubt. It's probably just enjoying being a tourist for awhile! nancy

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

You have such an amazing sense of color. This is just gorgeous. All of it is rendered exquisitely.

bettyfromtexas said...

This is soft and elegant. A masterpiece!! I hope it rejoins its companion piece sooner rather than later! I know you must be distraught!

Sarah Melling said...

Oh, I love this! Those shadows are so beautifully done...lovely work.

Alex said...

Fantastic work! The beautiful sculptures brought out by beautiful and strong shadows =) Love the details on the stones, and the textures on them....marvelous!

debra morris said...

Lovely Cathy