Thursday 6 October 2011

Back from London



watercolour sketch


I'm still recovering from my quick visit to London to see the UKCPS exhibition which I thoroughly enjoyed.
It's amazing to see work by artists that normally I only ever get to see on internet, and the first thing everyone says when the see work of this standard in coloured pencil is ' I never knew you could do this with pencils '.


  


The exhibition took place in The Central Hall, Westminster, just opposite Westminster Cathedral, a very grand location.




Both  of my entries were hung in the first room after the Faber Castell stand.   In the main room there were various areas selling cards and books.  I succumbed to temptation and bought a signed copy of Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils by Ann Swan.  It's a beautiful book that would appeal to non-botanical artists too. 





There was so much to see it was impossible to take it all in, all the entries can be seen here
My favourites in the exhibition were 'Hydrangers' by Gayle Dickinson and 'Wisdom of Age' by Irina Garmashova-Cawton, but there were many others too.





Now it's time to get down to some serious painting as I have a couple of local exhibitions coming up in the next few months and I hope to have some new work ready soon!

19 comments:

Melliott said...

Love your watercolor. Congrats on your show! What a great honor, and a great trip.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Cathy! Sounds like a wonderful trip. Loving the grand surroundings for the exhibition :)
Sue

jenna said...

I LOVE that new watercolor, so well done, and the finer details are so subtle and nice.

Sounds like a good show experience!

Shirley said...

Congratulations! I love Westminster Hall and saw an art exhibit there several years ago. Is that you in the last photo??

Clare said...

Gorgeous watercolour sketch. what a wonderful place to while away a weekend.

Cathy Holtom said...

Yes Shirley that's me!
x

Studio at the Farm said...

Congradulations, cathy! That looks like it was a great exhibit.

Connie said...

Congratulations! It's wonderful to see your work hanging. Very impressive on the wall! Glad to see the photo of you, as well. The new watercolor is lovely.

Unknown said...

Great wc sketch up there. And I have to admit, even though I knew it once, I had forgotten these were colored pencil. In the photos they look watercolor to me. I got to be surprised all over again!

Sasa Saastamoinen said...

Congratulations once again and thank you for sharing the link! It was interesting to see all the entries, amazing work!

nanke's stuff said...

Thanks so much for the link - each and every one of the pieces is just stunning. And like Raena, I think they look like watercolors. Congratulations, your work is just wonderful! nancy

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see your photo - it's nice to put a face to the blogger!! I love your watercolour. Glad you enjoyed your trip and the exhibition.

Alex said...

Beautiful watercolor sketch! =) The exhibition looks amazing and so happy that your work is in it ^^ I'd be so proud telling people that I know you and actually have a piece of work from you... wooohoo!

bettyfromtexas said...

This is all just so cool!! Congratulations! AND, wow what a beautiful watercolor you created for this post!!

Sandra said...

How exciting to fill your soul with so much inspiration. AND your art sets other people on fire! Nice work.

Lucia B. said...

Beautiful work, Cathy! This watercolour skyline is fascinating, it gives me the feeling of twilight time.
You fully deserve the recognition of being included in such a wonderful exhibition of coloured pencils paintings, as your works show a very high quality both in technique and in their poetic content. Congratulations!

Dan Kent said...

How wonderful to be in such an exhibition - congratulations! I looked at the gallery and it is amazing that these beautiful works were done in color pencil. I never would have known it but for encountering your beautiful work, and a few others on the web. I love your watercolor of London, esp the blending of the grey to the brown.

Sarah Melling said...

What a gorgeous watercolor! And what a fabulous trip. I have that same Ann Swan book...isn't it amazing? I adore her work!

Unknown said...

How fabulous. I'm glad you got to see your work hung in such a fabulous exhibition.