Saturday 11 September 2010

Virtual Paintout - September 2010

E 106th Street, New York


The Virtual Paintout this month is Manhatten Island and I chose this street view.   I liked the urban feel the bridge gave,  and how it crosses right across the middle of the picture  but at the same time you can see through to the road beyond.  In reality there were a lot more cars on the road, but I hate drawing cars so I left them out!
The Virtual Paintout is run by Bill guffey, he chooses a location and artists paint or draw scenes using Google Street view.  The fun part is finding somewhere you like, I end up wandering down back streets, coming to dead ends or sitting in the middle of a busy highway.   I try not to go to the obvious beauty spots, it's nice to find something you didn't expect!
Of course it's also interesting to see where other artists went and what caught their eye.

The Virtual Paintout Blog

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll have to try that! Looks like a fun way to get an idea for a sketch or painting! Very nice! I like your style.

Unknown said...

Nice one Cathy.

Perhaps you could say it's early morning which is why there are so few cars.

Lucia B. said...

The Virtual Paintout is a great idea, I think one day I'll try to participate! Even with all the asphalt and concrete of this view you have managed to put a lot of colours, so this painting appears so delicate and beautiful. I love the colours of the stones on the bridge.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Americans finally ran out of oil and cann't use their cars!! Super drawing - I love the bridge!

Jim Bumgarner said...

Great perspective in this! I tried VirtualPainOut but found I spent sooo much time trying to find something that didn't look "roadside." Thanks for your comments on my blog!

Ruth said...

Interesting choice. Just have to say as artists we're lucky because we can include what we want and can omit the same --artistic license. So no need to worry about not doing all. That's what photos are for. I think you chose the right amount and placed them in most perfect spots. This bridge is bizarre going straight across the painting, but at the same time is compelling and intriguing. There is much to discover. Takes a little while to enjoy all. Good job.

Gillian Mowbray said...

I love the more quirky sort of locations too and I think the graphic composition of this works very well - a different subject for you, but none the less compelling.
You make me want to get back to VP myself. x