Sunday 2 May 2010

A Greek Temple in the Sun


Near Trapani in Sicily is the 5th century BC Temple at Segesta.  It's in a beautiful setting on a small hill surrounded by trees and it's gold coloured stone literally glows in the sun, a perfect subject for artists and photographers.  My original sketch was in pen and watercolour, but this is the second version in coloured pencil done at home.  
Also near the temple are the remains of a  greek ampitheatre, set on top of a hill in a stunning location.  I would have loved to draw that too but I was suffering from lack of oxygen after the hike to the top!


The views were amazing, you could see for miles, well worth the steep walk up, and well worth the visit too, I'd definately like to go again.



13 comments:

winna said...

It is really a pleasure to see your work from somewhere I studied in school many eons ago---beautifully done and mindpicture discriptions

nanke's stuff said...

How wonderful that you have the opportunity to see such treasures! Your painting is lovely. I can only imagine what it must feel like to stand in the middle of such antiquity! Thanks for sharing. nancy

Sketch Gurl said...

You did a wonderful job on the stone work and the lovely yellow flowers.

Sandra said...

Your work is so peaceful. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your part of the world.

rrARTz said...

this is gorgeous! your use of color is magnificent!!!!

Sarah said...

How lovely for you to be able to draw and paint there. I really like this coloured pencil piece - I like the warm colours you've used to capture the light

Johanna said...

That looks lovely! I'm working hard not to turn green.... ;)

Gillian Mowbray said...

How beautiful. Your soft and gentle style captures the heat and atmosphere so perfectly. You should illustrate a travel guide. x

Revelle Taillon said...

It's so glowingly soft and radient!

martinepittet said...

Thank you for sharing these gorgeous landscapes. I love the way you rendered the serene atmosphere.

donna said...

You did a wonderful job with the colored pencils. Great work.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful view! It makes me wonder what historical figures we know today that may have been in that ampitheatre! And I love the colored pencil painting you did! The stonework is wonderful!

Lesley Purcell said...

What an absolutely amazing place to live, such incredible things to sketch, you must be spoilt for choice! I love this picture, so bright, you have really captured the sunlight on the rock.